|VHC Makes Rapid Stop on Attic Fire|
|By Secretary Tom Ward|
|November 3, 2019|
On Sunday, November 3rd, 2019 VHC and surrounding mutual aid companies were alerted to Box 6-09 for a reported house fire in the 11200blk of Simmons Road east of Emmitsburg.
During response crews were alerted by FCECC that the homeowner was reporting smoke in the attic area of the home. First arriving A69 found nothing evident from a single family residence. E61 arrived shortly after and dropped a supply line down the driveway for ET64, leaving space for CCLDR5 as the first aerial piece on the scene (TWR6 was out of service). The crew off E61 made entry to the attic space to find smoke filling the attic area with no fire evident. Crews off ET64 & A69 assisted E61.
Crews found electrical wiring to have caused the insulation in the attic to begin to smolder and generate the smoke and heat conditions. Crews secured the electrical utilities and began removing the insulation from the affected areas. The incident was scaled back shortly thereafter.
Estimated damaged are around $3,000. Over twenty VHC Volunteers were operating on the incident. Special thanks to Guardian Hose Company (FC10) for filling at the station while crews cleaned up from the fire scene.
This was the second incident in a week that VHC personnel were able to respond with all dispatched apparatus, in turn emptying the station. Tower 6 was dispatched but was placed out of service due to mechanical issues and staffing was supplemented on ET64 and RS6. Thanks to all mutual aid companies who assisted on the incident.
DC Click held the Simmons Road Command
|Mutual Aid:||FC 13, 9, 18, 10, 11 CC 11, 5 (CCLDR IPO TWR6 which was OOS Mechanical)|